National Train Your Dog Month is an annual event held in January to celebrate responsible dog ownership and to promote the importance of training and socialization for our canine companions. It was started in 2010 by the Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT) to help raise awareness about the many benefits of training.
“Please note, you need the APDT’s permission before using National Train Your Dog Month® events to advertise or promote specific products or services offered by your company. The APDT encourages all trainers, shelters, pet owners and others to participate in the campaign, but commercial use of the event name or identity in advertising or promotion requires a license from the APDT, for obvious reasons.” –National Train Your Dog Month
National Train Your Dog Month is held in communities all across the United States. The event focuses on education and encourages people to seek out professional dog trainers and classes in order to ensure their dogs are getting the best possible training. In addition to local events and classes, the APDT also sponsors webinars, contests, and other activities to help promote the importance of training.
RELEVANT: Puppy And Dog Training Tips
National Train Your Dog Month is a great opportunity for dog owners to take the time to invest in their pet’s training. With the right guidance and instruction, owners can ensure that their dogs are well behaved and have a good understanding of basic commands.
Training and socialization can also help build a strong bond between owner and pet, resulting in a lifetime of happy memories.
This is a great time to celebrate your pup and the bond of friendship you share! January is dedicated to teaching your furry friend good manners and solidifying the trust between you.
Here are a few fun and creative ways to celebrate National Train Your Dog Month and get the most out of your pup’s training.
- Spend some quality time together. Spend some extra time with your pup this month. Take your pup on a longer walk or a hike to a new area. Play a game of fetch or hide-and-seek or just sit in the backyard and enjoy each other’s company.
- Take a training class. Sign up for a basic or advanced obedience class or a specialized training class such as agility or scent work. Working together with your pup on a new skill is a great way to build on the bond you share.
- Play with puzzle toys. Puzzle toys are a great way to give your pup a mental workout while also teaching them patience and problem-solving skills.
- Try new activities. Take your pup to a new park, the beach, or a lake. Join an organized activity such as doggie paddle boarding or even herding.
- Treat your pup. Celebrate your pup’s accomplishments with a special treat or toy.
RELEVANT: 10 Commands Every Good Dog Should Know
No matter how you choose to spend National Train Your Dog Month, make sure to give plenty of praise and positive reinforcement to your pup and have some fun while you’re at it!